As a trainer I like it when people take training. It gives me someone to help in building their skills but this article isn’t about taking my training as much as the necessity of training for everyone who carry a firearm.
In Ohio you are required to receive five elements in your CCW class.
- Ability to name and explain safe gun handling and storage
- Demonstrate and explain how to hand ammunition safely
- Show competency necessary to safely shoot a handgun
- Receive gun handling training
- Spend at least six (6) hours in classroom and 2 hours on the range
Now that and a background check will get you a CCW license in Ohio.
Unfortunately it doesn’t prepared you for a violent encounter. Additional training is the only way to experience it.
- The adrenaline rush that everyone involved will be affected by. Yes, even the criminal will experience a rush of adrenaline. Both of you will also experience the crash after the encounter is over with. During training we duplicate this by introducing artificial stress into training by running a shot timer
- Tunnel vision has to everyone and the only way to deal with it is to train for it. If you don’t know how to break tunnel vision you could potentially make a critical mistake by not noticing other people intent on doing you harm. Remember bad people aren’t going to fight fair and might have friends with them when they decide to attack you.
- Know how to shoot defensively and not bullseye. Yes, defensive shooting means you need to shoot fast but you still want to be able to hit what you are aiming at. A miss is loss time and a wasted round. AND it could mean an innocent person could be hurt and you’ll be responsible.
- If you are caught in a violent assault it is likely you or someone with you could require first aid. Maybe it’s some scraps or maybe it’s a bullet wound. Learn how to deal with trauma while you wait for emergency care.
When you are thinking about additional training don’t think that the course is going to be teaching you the information as your CCW class. Look for classes that will advance your skills with your pistol, trauma response, and mental awareness.