You’ve completed the required instructor course and have started teaching students how to shoot and be safe. Your student learn a lot and you feel accomplished.
BUT what’s wrong??
Continue reading Keeping sharp as an instructor
Instructors starting out need to figure a few things out and can acquire a lot additional items over time for their classroom
The first requirement is determine what certifications you need (or have) and come up with a name for the training. You make already have certs to get your company going or you may need to complete a USCCA or NRA course to become certified. For the name of your business it be Joe’s Firearm Training or you could decide to come up with a different kind of name like American Defense Training. Remember that the name should describe the business you are in and not just one piece of it. i.e. we chose to go with ‘Training’ versus ‘Firearms or Guns’ because we try to offer defense training no matter what it is.
Continue reading What Do You NEED as a New Instructor?
We’ve updated our website to make it easier to navigate and to find materials for both students and instructors.
- The biggest update is you will be able to see our blog posts on the front page now and we’re committed to blogging more about self defense and training.
- Our class schedule is now under the events tab. The only events you will see on the web page are the a couple of upcoming events.
- We’ll also be able to be more timely in our articles about current events. The best way to understand how training applies is to take real life events and break down the good, the bad, and the ugly so we can learn.
- Past readers will note that from time to time we would put offers in emails going out to people. Then people would delete the email and wouldn’t be able to find the offers. We fixed that by placing the ads on our website where it’s easy to find. These are vendors that we have purchased from ourselves and endorse their products.
- The schedule is now available to download and print. It’s broken up into student classes and instructor classes. Plus you can download a flyer if that’s easier for you to use or pass around.
- We are also offering a free home security checklist for new visitors to our website. It’s something that everyone can use in making sure their home is secure as possible.
Feel free to let us know what you think by emailing us at Info@AmericanDefenseTraining.us
As a trainer I like it when people take training. It gives me someone to help in building their skills but this article isn’t about taking my training as much as the necessity of training for everyone who carry a firearm.
In Ohio you are required to receive five elements in your CCW class.
- Ability to name and explain safe gun handling and storage
- Demonstrate and explain how to hand ammunition safely
- Show competency necessary to safely shoot a handgun
- Receive gun handling training
- Spend at least six (6) hours in classroom and 2 hours on the range
Now that and a background check will get you a CCW license in Ohio.
Unfortunately it doesn’t prepared you for a violent encounter. Additional training is the only way to experience it.
- The adrenaline rush that everyone involved will be affected by. Yes, even the criminal will experience a rush of adrenaline. Both of you will also experience the crash after the encounter is over with. During training we duplicate this by introducing artificial stress into training by running a shot timer
- Tunnel vision has to everyone and the only way to deal with it is to train for it. If you don’t know how to break tunnel vision you could potentially make a critical mistake by not noticing other people intent on doing you harm. Remember bad people aren’t going to fight fair and might have friends with them when they decide to attack you.
- Know how to shoot defensively and not bullseye. Yes, defensive shooting means you need to shoot fast but you still want to be able to hit what you are aiming at. A miss is loss time and a wasted round. AND it could mean an innocent person could be hurt and you’ll be responsible.
- If you are caught in a violent assault it is likely you or someone with you could require first aid. Maybe it’s some scraps or maybe it’s a bullet wound. Learn how to deal with trauma while you wait for emergency care.
When you are thinking about additional training don’t think that the course is going to be teaching you the information as your CCW class. Look for classes that will advance your skills with your pistol, trauma response, and mental awareness.
If you like this forward this along to your family and friends and join our email list