Around Christmas the news media talking a lot about Porch Pirates. Those people who follow delivery trucks or see a package on your front porch and decide to steal it.
CBS This Morning talks about this trend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvfRKiMAsDc
Some suggestions to keep you orders safe
- Have packages delivered where an individual can sign for it. This could be a trusted neighbor or having it delivered to your work.
- Alternatively UPS and FedEx allow you to customize your delivery time/address from their apps
- Get a PO Box or a box at a Mailbox Etc location where they can sign for your packages
- Update the delivery preferences for the carrier to have them place the item out of sight from the street. This could be by the garage door or backdoor. Just make sure that wherever it is that you remember it’s there and that it’s protected from the elements
- Monitor package deliveries from the carriers. Amazon is great to tell you when something ships bu USPS, UPS, and FedEx will all tell you what is coming to your address
- For USPS signup for Informed delivery at www.USPS.Gov
- For UPS go to UPS.com and signup. They also have a hand feature to allow you enter in when you will be on vacation so they will hold packages for you
- For FedEx packages for to Fedex.com and signup for their notification services.
- Note: All of these services allow you get notification on a package by package basis but what we are talking about is creating an account with the carrier so they can email and text you when they receive a package as well as when a package will be delivered.
Some of these options are not free but you need to balance the inconvenience of a package theft with what you’ll pay to know your package is safe.
This is not advised but I think we can all relate to it when a package gets stolen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHI3vqNo7sk
Take the time to make yourself a harder victim and the criminal will choose someone else.